Give Weekly, a weekly newsletter about a single good cause, gives me a regular reason to research & learn about an issue and, hopefully, funnel some support to the people and organisations working to make a difference.
I’ve been privileged enough to travel all over the world with my best friend. While seeing the sights, meeting new friends and tasting the food, I’ve taken some photos.
benandcamilla.in is a hand-rolled photoblog and an attempt to show that big, beautiful photo stories can be done faster, better and simpler independent of the behemoth publishing platforms.
Today I Learned
A microblog and an experiment with a git-powered mobile publishing workflow. TIL is a nod to writing on the web before it was a race to the top of the algorithmic feed; a place for me to write down interesting things I learn purely for the sake of writing down interesting things I learn.
I’ve been building user interfaces across a bunch of teams at Envato since 2011. I’m currently working on Envato Sites.
- The 12MB Web Page: A tale of perfect PageSpeed scores & developer happiness (Envato Code Party, May 2016)
- The UI is an Application (Dutch PHP Conference, Jun 2015)
- Hands on with the modern front end stack workshop (Dutch PHP Conference, Jun 2015)
- The New Front End Stack: A really really really high level introduction (Envato Code Party, May 2015)
- Smarter Sass builds with Webpack (MelbCSS, Apr 2015 & MelbJS, May 2015)
- Faking Real Time: Optimistic Updates & Eventual Consistency (Decompress, Mar 2015)
- Presenting Dev Achievements to Non-Devs (Envato Code Party, Nov 2014)
- Going Isomorphic with React (MelbJS, Jul 2014)
- CSS Architecture on a Shoestring (Decompress, Apr 2014)
- Element Queries: Responsive Web Design’s Unicorn (Be Responsive, Jan 2014)
I write open source code and build side projects on GitHub, retweet space news on Twitter, endorse colleagues for natural horsemanship and sea captaincy on LinkedIn, post photos of balloons and sunsets on Instagram, watch fx showreels on Vimeo, listen to too much country music on Last.fm and am usually the human behind bensmithett everywhere else.
Always buy the tourist photo.